Monday, December 22, 2008

Wow.

Okay, I'm gaining a new respect for Relief Society Presidents of the world. Or maybe it's just my very needy branch. I think I've clocked a weeks worth of service in the past two not counting the phone calls and preparation time for the past two Sundays and four days worth of work trying to straighten out the visiting teaching routes now that our missionary couple has been out to see every less active person on our very long list. I know that I need to delegate as my husband has so poignantly pointed out.
The problem is that I'm still trying to figure out how to do that. The distance is my biggest obstacle currently. It certainly doesn't help to live in the middle of no where. Phew! My poor kids have spent hours in the car on too many days in a row and I'm afraid I've got quite a cranky little two year old who is not getting a regular nap other than a few minutes in a carseat from one errand to the next.
But it is Christmas, I've had a lot of calls that I can't ignore, and I can only think about the talk given by someone a few years ago about how as an adult this person learned to appreciate all the service her mother rendered when she was a child. I hope that some day, my family will be able to look back on this experience and appreciate my example and not begrudge my time away to help someone in need.
I don't think I realized how time consuming this job really is. Mom said that this calling is the woman's equivilant to a Bishop. I guess I just never realized HOW much is involved behind the scenes.
So until I can figure out how to balance all of my new responsibilities with the old, I may be out of blogging commission for a while.
Until then - I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

Did I miss something? I don't remember knowing that you got called as RS President. You are right---it is a TON of work and most definitely a full time job. There are MANY blessings that will come as a result of your service though and you will miss those blessings when they are gone. I'm speaking from experience :) I served for 3years and have been released for 2 now...I can't believe it's been that long. wow. Definitely hope you have good counselors and Jhonny is right---delegation is the key once things are under control. No worries---you'll do great

cemarcano said...

Thanks Stefanie. I have already seen some of the blessings. But it definitely is a transition. Not quite like other callings I've picked up.
I knew about the calling sometime mid November and was sustained the 6th of December. So it's pretty brand new.