Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Employment Update

Some have visited our personal website and learned our tragic news of Jhonny's termination last Friday. It came as quite a shock and he could spend hours telling you his opinion of how it happened, but it doesn't change the fact nor the probability that we won't qualify for unemployment benefits.
I've been overwhelmed by the prayers and support from our friends, family and branch family here. Our former branch president invited us over Sunday evening to discuss our situation and determine our immediate needs. He loaned us a car for Jhonny to use and offered him an opportunity for possible employment with his company. We aren't sure of the details, pay, benefits, or for how long - but it's something which is better than nothing.
We've pondered the possibilities of beginning a personal business in handyman/remodeling work, which is a bit daunting. I feel the need to study up on the laws and regulations about small business ownership. I'm sure some of you could lend some advise on that.
When I was set apart as a Relief Society President I was told that I would grow closer to the Lord during a challenge to come. I've been wondering what that challenge would be ever since. Well now I know and I'm grateful for the blessing I received. It's been a comfort and a hope knowing that the Lord is aware and is ready and willing to help us get through this transition.
The good news is that we will get one more paycheck before we're cut off which buys us a few more weeks to find new employment or pay if this opportunity works out.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

I am so sorry to hear this Chalice. Our prayers will certainly be with you and your family during this time.

We understand the financial crunch as our blind business has taken a DRASTIC hit over the last couple of months. In a way it would be nice to have 'lost' a job - instead of having a company that we still are responsible for - but with VERY few sales coming in. We still have so many expenses associated with the business but literally no phone calls even coming in. It hurts.

We wish you guys (and everyone else facing similar circumstances) luck, and peace as you work through this.

Kim and Tammy said...

Our prayers are with each and everyone of the whole Ellis family. These are tough times and we were warned many times. This is a time we need to all pull together as a whole big family and help strengthen one another with support. As a Relief Society president Chalice, this will be a challenge, but as you take your concerns and focus on the sisters you have stewardship over, the Lord will provide for your family. That has always been a promise for us. Put the Lord first and He will take care of our families. We love you.

cemarcano said...

That's where I'm at. I just keep thinking - the Lord knew this was coming. Maybe I was called to this BECAUSE he knew and he knew I needed the blessings associated with it. At any rate - I know things are going to be fine. I'm soo grateful for all the prayers on our behalf. Johanna - my heart and prayers go out to you and Cory, too. Hope things pick up some how.

Stefanie said...

Chalice---you guys are also in our thoughts and prayers. I will tell you that the one time Garrin got laid off was THE biggest blessing in our lives. It was the change he needed to get out of a situation which caused GREAT HUGE problems in our marriage. Just the "quick" version is that we had only one car, if I needed it to go to BYU (to school) that day, I would drop him off---pick him up later. The shop owner (mean man!) would see me pull up, tell Garrin he had to do "x" before he could leave (and yes---he would FIND things for him to do if all the work was done), and make me sit there for upwards of 2 hours. I can't tell you how many burned dinners, missed ward parties, and plans we had to cancel or just plain missed. It seems kind of silly/funny now--but it was a HUGE contention in our marriage. We called our next job our tithing blessing---and the one he would have for the next 18 years. BEST thing that ever happened.

I can relate to both you guys and Joanna---just having come off our partnership and falling car sales. It can be rough! I'll say it again---pay your tithing (easy if you don't have an income. LOL!) and you will be blessed. I have a huge testimony of that. Just as we get to the bottom of the barrell so to speak, something always happens and we're able to make it another month. We're just going along this way until our new shop is built. (at this point--I hope by fall!)

And Joanna---I definitely know how that feels to have bills hanging over your head and not know what you're going to do. It's so stressful and sorry you guys have to go through it. We did have a lot of savings before we started our business 3 yrs ago and I'm glad we had it! It saved us over the last several years. It'll be nice to have an income again so we can start building it up again.

Maybe we should all share our money saving tips on here---I know I've been able to cut our bills substantially. One thing I advised my sister (who is the dollar store QUEEN and having some financial problems) is not to go to the store unless it's absolutely necessary---and then---only buy what's on the list. I've saved hundreds of dollars on unnecessary Walmart trips!! And I don't really miss the things I was buying. Even if you're going to the dollar store-20 items is $20 and that's $20 you could have saved!

Good luck to all---hang in there! We'll keep you all in our prayers---and Chalice--this Ellis bunch is a great group of Small Business Owners---it's a lot of work--but hopefully for all of us--worth it in the end!

Stephie said...

We will keep you in our prayers!!

Stephie said...

We will keep you in our prayers!!