Monday, June 23, 2008

Update on Troy and Aspen




We are enjoying Texas more and more all the time. I just got back from a week at girls camp being almost 7 months pregnant in the Texas heat. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...although I do have a few stories. hopefully i'll get some pictures put on here to go with them. I survived a 5 mile hike with the girls as well as all the wildlife. it was crazy how many animals we saw and came in contact with. The deer would come right up to our campsite and beg for food. It was sad - they are so skinny from having no food to eat. Everything is so dry that I wonder what they live on. The havalinna's on the other hand were ravinous beasts. There would be a scout havalinna that would come out and go from campsite to campsite until he would find food, then snort and all the others would come in and fight over it. Everynight we had about 10-12 that we would have to chase off. I recieved the havalinna warrior award chasing them all off on my way to the bathroom everynight (one of the perks of pregnancy that I don't necessarily enjoy!). We also had a gray fox come close to camp everynight as well as skunks and vultures. Definately the most lively girls camp I've ever been to! to wrap up the great week, instead of driving the 5 hours to get back to Del Rio, it only took me 1 1/2 hours in a little 4 seater airplane. That was an adventure (and Troy is now jealous because he's the one in pilot training and hasn't been able to fly yet)! Our Branch President is a fighter pilot in th eAir Force and he owns this little plane. He flew out to attend the testimony meeting the last night and stayed to help break up camp the next day and flew back. One of the other leaders needed to get back quick and so I went with the two of them. It was tons of fun and now that i've flown in one, Troy thinks it will be easier to convince me that we need to buy one. I told him to get through pilot training first and we'll see. He is doing well with his training. Even though they are keeping him super busy, he enjoys what he is doing and anxious to get out on the flightline. One more week and he will be there! We'll keep you updated as he gets further and starts flying solo.

4 comments:

Ashley Mullen said...

Looks like lots of fun! That is pretty good of you to go to girls camp 7 months prgo. Way to go Aspen.

Stefanie said...

Wow....I didn't think you had lived there long enough to not only have a YW calling--but to make you go to girl's camp--AND 7 months pregnant AND in Texas heat..ugh..AND a 5 miler??? Wow..I'm impressed!

Glad you put a picture of javelinas---I was thinking---aren't those the things on Lion King with the tusks--I've never seen one up close--too funny! We never saw animals when I lived in Texas..weird! ('cept of course the armadillos..and course those were dead)

Aspen & Troy Egbert said...

There are only 2 other leaders in young women's so they were hoping I'd go cause they could use the help. Plus it was a great opportunity to get to know the leaders i'm working with and the girls. I think this is the fastest I've been able to get to know people after moving into a new place!

Kim and Tammy said...

I also think you look really good for 7 months! Pretty soon you guys will be able to fly to our reunions! Ha! We'll miss you, hope you two have a great experience in Texas. Keep us posted. I love this blog site!
Love,
Tammy, Kim, and Coby